The Wonderful World of Packing Cubes

packing cubes Since 2006, I have used packing cubes on every domestic and international trip I have taken. Packing cubes make many a traveler’s “must have” packing gear list, and I cannot imagine hitting the road without them.

What are packing cubes?

Packing cubes are relatively small containers made of fabric, often in a rectangular shape, used for packing clothing. They zip closed and are small enough that you can fit several into a carry-on bag, suitcase, or backpack.

How can packing cubes be used?

I packed a suitcase for many years without the use of packing cubes and traveled without a problem! Once I started using packing cubes, however, I began to discover numerous benefits to using them – they can help you pack and travel better.

Variety of sizes: While packing cube are often rectangular in shape, they vary in length, width, and height, making them perfect for packing any type of clothing – or anything else you may want to stash inside. Differing sizes also mean they can fit in any size daypack, backpack, or suitcase.

Organize clothing: Packing cubes help you pack like items together. I like to use the larger size for my pants, shorts, and long-sleeved shirts and the smaller for short-sleeved shirts (all in one), underwear (panties and bras in one), and feminine products.

Keep clothes neat and minimize wrinkles if you can pack the cubes to capacity: It’s unavoidable (at least for me!) to have a few wrinkles, even when rolling clothing. By filling packing cubes to capacity with tightly rolled clothing or neatly folded garments, the items are kept in place from point A to B.

Easy to live out of my bag – makes packing, repacking, and finding exactly what you need easier: Sometimes when I’ve been sightseeing all day, I want to pop back to the hostel to freshen up and change shirts before heading out for dinner with a new friend. I can easily take one packing cube out of my bag to get exactly what I need instead of flipping through piles of clothing in a suitcase.

Maximize space: I seem to fit more into my suitcase when using packing cubes than I used to without them. Perhaps it’s due to the building-block shape of the cubes – they’re easy to stack and fit neatly into every available inch of your pack.

Pillows: Sometimes the hostel pillow just doesn’t cut it. Or perhaps you find yourself on an impromptu trip or camping in the middle of nowhere. In times when I’ve needed a pillow, I gladly used my largest packing cube, which was filled with clothing.

packing cube inside backpack

A Packing Cube Inside Backpack

Using packing cubes on the road…

Packing cubes are now a “must have” item for me. I found my first set to be too stiff and rigid, and my next purchase utilized a more flexible fabric.

While traveling, I may put dirty clothes in one cube, along with a couple of dryer sheets to keep the suitcase smelling fresh. I wash my packing cubes from time to time and hang them to dry.
I have six cubes altogether and vary the amount I bring on a trip – usually I travel with 1 long rectangular cube and 2-3 shorter (but taller) ones.

In Istanbul, I met a traveler who used cubes that were cylindrical in shape for her backpack and she loved them. As I travel with a small suitcase, I am curious to hear from those of you who carry a backpack. I think that cubes fit like puzzles pieces neatly in a rectangular suitcase – do you feel the same with a backpack?

You might also be interested in…

• Packing folders: I was eager to own a set and then found them to be too rigid the first time I used them. The folders stayed at home while I traveled in Oz but they work well for some people.
  • Compression bags: I’ve never used them but know travelers who have.
  • Shoe bags: Shoe sized bags that protect your clothing from the soles of your shoes. I pack my laptop and camera cables and chargers inside instead!

Have packing cubes aided your packing or do I love them more than the average gal? Ladies, if you use them with a backpack or use folders or compression bags instead, share what works (or doesn’t!) for you.

Photo credit: 1, 2.

23 Responses to The Wonderful World of Packing Cubes

1. Christine October 25, 2011 at 9:14 am #

Very interested in trying these out for my next trip–any particular brand you recommend?

2. Heather October 25, 2011 at 12:31 pm #

Christine, my sets are from Rick Steves and I love them! The stiff ones that I disliked came with a suitcase my parents bought at one point. I haven’t tried a brand other than Rick’s, but I’ve seen plenty of “softer” ones that other travelers have used.

• Stacey Repass May 23, 2013 at 1:02 am #

I am obsessed with the Rick Steve’s packing cubes. The 3 of them fit perfectly in my backpack and make unpacking soooo much easier!

3. Krista October 25, 2011 at 4:03 pm #

I use a backpack and the normal square/rectangle packing cubes work great. I think it might depend on the type of backpack. My backpack opens somewhat like a suitcase and the cubes fit fine. Some have backpacks where everything loads at the top and I would think cylindric ones would work better with those. I don’t know if that is the case with the person you met but that is my theory :).

I use Eagle Creek packing cubes and they look similar to the ones you have and the are soft and flexible and not at all ridgid. I like them!

• Heather October 31, 2011 at 2:51 pm #

Krista, I think my friend did indeed have a top loading backpack! Thank you for sharing about your backpack and cubes — I’m thinking about getting a backpack for future trips and was wondering how the cubes would work with the different shape :-)

4. meghan January 16, 2012 at 10:44 pm #

Oh, how I second your love of packing cubes. I have two sets: one is a Rick Steve’s set and one is Embark (which I think is a Target brand). With the help of these cubes I am all packed for six months in Paris- in one carry-on and one suitcase.

5. Beth May 4, 2012 at 12:43 am #

I bought a set of packing cubes just before my big trip to Europe and wasn’t able to use them in my (top loading) backpack. I tried packing things into them but just wasn’t able to fit as much into the same amount of space – the cubes took up all the room. I ended up using gallon size ziplock bags, which was actually fantastic. I labelled them and brought a few extra but didn’t even need those. I’m about to go on another trip with a rolling suitcase, so I’ll give the cubes another try.

6. Melissa July 28, 2012 at 3:44 am #

I used a compression bag when I went to Costa Rica earlier this year. It was a life saver. All of my clothes went into it and then using the straps, I squat it down to half it’s normal size. There were a few wrinkles but I think I could’ve avoided some if I’d packed a little more carefully to start. I was able to steam/iron things flat when I got to where I was going.

7. Mandy November 8, 2012 at 4:59 am #

I LOVE my eagle creek packing cubes. They help me stay organized and they help me keep my packing to a minimum. Mine have been to Ecuador, the Canadian Rockies, and all over the US on MANY geology field trips and road trips. I have 2 medium and 2 small sized rectangular cubes and a folder that I use when I have clothing that I like to keep a little neater (button up shirts, dresses). I use the smaller cubes for socks and undies and the medium cubes are the perfect size for rolled up t-shirts. Though I haven’t used these with a backpack, I have used them quite a bit with a duffel bag as well as a small rolling suitcase. In a duffel they do shift quite a bit, especially as I acquire better travel gear and pack less, but I wouldn’t leave home without them!

8. Heike January 14, 2013 at 1:41 am #

My father is head over heels for those packing cubes. He does a lot of business trips and always uses them. According to him the rectangular cubes are the best for keeping button-down shirts wrinkle-free. Hey also uses a shoe bag for his office shoes, they do a great job preventing the shoe polish from staining the clothes or the inside of the suitcase.
    Personally, I used a shoe bag before but other than that I always thought those cubes were a waste of space. But after reading what you wrote and remembering the chaos in backpack, I might just give it a try. :) I already looked up some cylinder-shaped bags that would fit in my 28L-pack just right.

9. Marjorie January 29, 2013 at 12:05 pm #

I love mine – I use them all the time, regardless of travel! I use the smallest ones in my purse and/or backpack everyday, one for those loose odds and ends in a purse (favorite pen, chapstick, eyedrops, extra hair ties, little bits of candy, etc) and one for my electronics – I corral all my cables, headphones, adaptors, chargers, ipods and small cameras)

I have a long narrow one which I use for sock and underware, and I have a few medium ones that I use for my rolled up shirts and shorts, if i am taking pants other than jeans, I take a large one, they don’t wrinkle much that way!

10. Susan March 30, 2013 at 12:21 am #

I fell in love with packing cubes last year. My brother and sister in law used theirs ona trip to China. I used gallon ziplock backs. They had plenty of extra room in their suitcase, while I was pushed for space. So I bought some and used them on a 3 week trip to Iceland (even though it was July, I needed long pants and long sleeved shirts, plus a jacket – highs were only 60 degrees) My mother used the ziplock bags, I had one medium suitcase, while she had 2. With the packing cubes, I had plenty of room for all the wool sweaters I bought while there.

I use Eagle Creek brand, and have a variety of sizes that I use. They are a lifesaver! I will invest in more before my trip to Italy this summer, especially after reading your packing list for Italy!

11. Sally August 7, 2013 at 8:27 pm #

I love packing cubes! They make my wheeled duffle bag organised. They could easily be removed from my overweight luggage and moved to my hand carry whenever I head from a big long haul flight to budget airlines. It’s not embarrassing to open my bag in crowded places. Always used them as pillows on camping trips.

When coming home from weeks-long holidays, it’s easy to know which clothes are still clean (overpacking – good feedback from my packing that next time I will no longer bring) and clothes heading straight to laundry.

A little ocd but I can tell if I have not packed everything from looking at my cubes.

One of the cubes would always pack a black dress with a matching cardigan and a foldable shoe. If I’m headng to a big city then same cube would have scarf (winter) and a purse just in case I can’t resit a posh dinner place (love food reason!)

Absolutely love them!

My boyfriend loves them too!

12. Aislinn August 28, 2013 at 2:33 am #

I’m going on a mission trip to Kenya, as well as a cross-U.S.A. roadtrip next summer. Do you think it’s possible to pack for 10 days-2 weeks in a small (11x23x11) duffel and a backpack? Would these cubes help?

• Brooke August 28, 2013 at 8:29 am #

We ABSOLUTELY think it’s possible, Aislinn! You’d be surprised what you can pack into a small bag. Just be smart and bring pieces that can be layered up and down. Packing cubes can help to organize your clothing, as well as compress slightly to fit better into your bag.

13. Sofia September 11, 2013 at 9:22 pm #

I will use the cubes on my next trip, but i have used the compression ones and recomend it if you’re doing an extended trip.
    Once we were staying with family, on our return trip we just borrowed the vacumer and compressed them again! it was a saver with space and our clothes and textiles didn’t force the bag’s zippers!

14. Sandy October 9, 2013 at 1:38 am #

I use and love Eagle Creek packing cubes and folders. Whether I carry on or check my bag, I don’t like the idea of TSA handling my clothes. I use a 2-sided cube for sleepwear, workout clothes, and knit shirts and 2-sided half cube for underwear, swimsuit, and socks. For years I never checked a bag and used the bundle packing method. I could pack more that way, but my bag was a mess after day 2. With the cubes and folders, clothes stay organized and easy to find without messing up the whole bag. The packing folders reduce wrinkles. I have used compression bags once and will definitely do that again.

15. Emily December 19, 2013 at 7:31 pm #

Just got the Eagle Creek ones that are made of silnylon.

They are SO lightweight! Otherwise, I don’t think I would have made the sacrifice of the added weight for the sake of convenience.

1. Female Guide to Packing for Carnival Cruise - 3 Nights - Her Packing List - March 7, 2013

[...] Extras: 1 belt, 1 tank, 1 stuffable bag, 1 small dirty clothes bag, 1 packing cube [...]

2. Why (and How) I Went Carry-on Only for a Year of Travel - Her Packing List - August 14, 2013

[...] Second, packing cubes [...]

3. Day 11: Compartmentalize into Cubes, Sacks, and Bags - Her Packing List - September 11, 2013

[…] your clothing in packing cubes, compression sacks or bags helps take the extra air out of your luggage, allowing you to pack more […]

4. The Osprey Farpoint 55 Review - Her Packing List - December 12, 2013

[…] with my Osprey pack! Firstly, the side loading element is fantastic; I also travel with three travel cubes so actually sorting out my stuff in the pack is a breeze. Secondly, the fact that the daypack zips […]

5. Meet Alexa Brooks and Her Briggs and Riley Transcend 22 - Her Packing List - December 19, 2013

[…] Great for females traveling along who want something they can lift up themselves and not worry. Packing cubes like Eagle Creek fit perfectly in this suitcase as well. Normally they are not cheap but once or […]