This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using them, we will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. It helps to keep this site running – thank you!
One of the biggest fears people have about traveling is becoming a victim of theft. As travelers, we can be easy targets for pickpocketing because we’re often distracted by maps and sightseeing in new locations.
So what can you do to protect your stuff? You can be aware of your surroundings, not flash your money around in public, and look for directions before you leave your hostel.
Something you might not have considered before is investing in clothing designed to protect your belongings. Here are some options for stylish theft-proof clothing.
Theft-Proof Clothing: Speakeasy Travel Scarf
A scarf is an easy way to dress up an outfit or add a little warmth on a chilly night. You’re probably packing one anyway, so why not bring one that has a little theft protection built in?
We love a versatile travel scarf!
The Speakeasy Travel Scarf is both fashionable and functional. It has a hidden pocket where you can hide your passport, ID, cash, or other smaller items. With your essentials stashed away, you can go out without a purse and feel a little safer against pickpockets.
- Check out Brooke’s review of the Speakeasy Travel Scarf to find out just how convenient this scarf really is for storing all your valuables.
It comes in many patterns and colors, as well as different weights. If you think you’ll use it for heavier items, choose a heavier scarf. Otherwise, the pocket will get weighed down and be a bit more obvious.
Clever Travel Companion Clothing
Clever Travel Companion is a company that developed a line of stylish yet functional theft-proof travel clothing to help keep your valuables safe. The garments have hidden pockets that fit your passport, ID, and cash so you can feel more secure in crowds.
Bonus: They’re designed to NOT look like typical travel clothing, that way you won’t stand out as a target to would-be thieves.
Clever Travel Companion Underwear:
The underwear comes in a boyshorts style and has a pocket where you can stash your ID and money and leave the purse behind.
Clever Travel Companion V-neck Shirt:
This fitted shirt has two pockets that aim towards the back, so your belongings won’t poke you in the stomach. The pockets are slim enough that items aren’t immediately noticeable.
Clever Travel Companion Tank Top:
Similar to the V-neck, the tank top has two backward-pointing pockets that can hide your passport and other small items.
Clever Travel Companion Leggings:
Leggings are a girl’s best friend when traveling, so a pair that has hidden pockets sounds even better. These theft-proof leggings have two hidden pockets, one on the front and one on the hip.
- Check out our full review of the Clever Travel Companion theft-proof clothing line to see just how well they can store all your valuables.
I haven’t personally tried Clothing Arts, but they make a full line of women’s (and men’s) travel clothing with theft-proof pockets. And they certainly don’t look like travel clothes. These skirts, shirts, dresses, and pants will have you looking stylish on the road while keeping your cash safe from thieves. Plus, most of their items are quick-drying!
Royal Robbins Women’s Discovery Pants
While not marketed as theft-proof clothing, this is certainly a travel-friendly pair of pants.
They are moisture-wicking, and water-resistant, and feature a travel utility pocket system updated to fit large smartphones. This includes a thigh zipper pocket (the perfect place for securing your valuables), front-hand pockets, and two back snap pockets (I wouldn’t recommend any valuables here.)
This brand is well-known for its clothing with multiple pockets (making it great theft-proof clothing), especially its vests. With SCOTTeVEST products, you can eliminate your travel purse entirely and store everything in different pockets to free up some luggage space.
SCOTTeVEST Chloe Hoodie
We love the look of the Chloe Hoodie. It’s casual yet fitted and has 10 interior and 4 exterior pockets. It also features a patented weight management system to distribute the weight of the jacket evenly across your shoulders no matter where you’ve stored your valuables.
Choose pockets wisely for your valuable items as not all of them are hidden away. And don’t go overboard – overloading the vest can make it bulky and make you stand out even more.
SCOTTeVEST Q.U.E.S.T. Vest
The SCOTTeVEST Q.U.E.S.T. Vest has 42 pockets! Yes, you read that right. And while you probably don’t want to use them all at the same time, it’s nice to have options.
Similarly to the Chloe Hoodie, this vest features a weight management system and is made from a water-repellent, stain-repellent, machine-washable, and durable material.
SCOTTeVEST Daisy Dress
While the Chloe Hoodie and the Q.U.E.S.T. Vest are amazing, sometimes it is just too hot to be wearing them while exploring a new destination. In that case, try one of SCOTTeVEST’s dresses.
The Daisy Dress is stylish, functional, and comfortable and features 8 strategically placed pockets (some hidden, some zippered) for easy access to all your essentials and valuables. It’s made from a bamboo combination fabric for moisture, bacteria and odor control and breathability.
- Check out our Top Travel Dresses for Every Trip blog post for more great travel dress options.
Prana Halle Pant
Prana is a brand that is committed to making sustainable clothes for yoga, travel, & outdoor adventure enthusiasts.
Their Halle Pants are both functional and stylish and while you won’t be able to store that many valuables in them, the zipper stash pocket on the upper right leg is great for storing some cash, your cards, or your room key.
They are made from a durable, stretch fabric with a water-repellent finish and UPF sun protection. They can also be rolled up and secured for warmer weather.
H&R Secret Pocket Underwear
The H&R Secret Pocket Underwear was designed for travel. This lightweight, breathable, boxer brief is odor-resistant, and moisture-wicking with a non-binding waistband.
The 2 secret zippered pockets can hold a passport, phone, or other valuables while traveling or on the go. While they might not be the best choice of theft-proof travel clothing for under a pair of skin-tight leggings, they’re a great option for under a dress or loose pants.
Theft-Proof Clothing Accessories
If you’re still looking for options beyond theft-proof clothing to keep your valuables safe, there are several great accessories and other items to try out.
- Bra stash: These are little pouches you wear in your bra. They’re usually not big enough for a passport, but they can hold your ID and some cash. The bra stash is a good option for a night out when you don’t need to carry much with you. Pacsafe makes a great travel bra pouch.
- Buddy pouch: This little pouch attaches to your waistband with strong magnets. It’ll still be visible unless you wear a longer shirt that covers it, but according to Caroline’s review, it should stay securely on your waistband. You can grab your own buddy pouch on Amazon.
- Money belts and neck pouches: You don’t have to get the tacky fanny packs that scream “rob me” anymore. Money belts come in slimmer forms, and there are versions that can be worn around your neck or arm. These can still be a great solution for securing your belongings while you travel. Check out our round-up of money belt options.
- Theft-proof handbags: There are lots of options for theft-proof purses and handbags, and they can go a long way in keeping your stuff safe. They come with zipper latches, locks, slash-proof material, identity theft protection, and many other safety features. Check out some of our favorites from Travelon and Pacsafe.
- Speakeasy Stash Scrunchie: The same brand that makes the travel scarf we recommended previously, brings you a stash scrunchie with a hidden zippered pocket. Perfect for your cash, key, lip balm, or any tiny items you don’t want to carry. Wear it around your wrist or in your hair depending on what is stashed inside. No one will suspect a thing.
It’s important to note that no accessory or item of clothing is ever 100% immune to theft or pickpocketing. You still have to be smart about where you store things and how you access them when you’re in a crowd. But hopefully, these options will keep you one step ahead of the thieves and less likely to become a victim.
Have you tried theft-proof clothing? What are your favorite options?