Welcome to Day 29 of 30 Days to Packing a Better Bag.
You’ve picked your luggage, decided what to pack, gotten rid of the unnecessary items and have put it all in your bags. It’s now time to go over those final details before you leave for your trip. This is your chance for one last run through of your packing list, to throw away what you don’t need and to use a luggage scale to make sure you’re not overweight. Don’t forget your passport!
Ask yourself these questions:
- Have I left my itinerary with someone at home? There should be someone who has all the vital information in case something happens to you, including phone numbers and addresses for where you’ll be staying and who to call in case of an emergency.
- Have I purchased travel insurance? The last thing you want to worry about is getting sick, becoming the victim of theft or being hospitalized while overseas.
- Have I alerted my bank and credit card company that I will be overseas? If you’ll be using any bank card overseas, find out what the penalties for using foreign ATMs are and alert your bank so it doesn’t freeze your account for fraudulent activity.
- Have I registered with my home embassy and applied for all necessary visas? It’s a good idea to register with your country’s embassy before you go because if something were to happen and you needed to be evacuated, the embassy would need to know. Also make sure you have a visa for your destination or that you can get one on arrival.
- Do I have enough foreign currency? If you rely on taking out foreign money at an ATM on arrival or changing over your native currency when you get there, you may find a poor exchange rate or might not be able to find an ATM.
- Have I checked the weather for my destination? If you haven’t checked before this point, you may find yourself having to repack with completely different clothing.
- Did I get rid of all unnecessary items from my bag? Go through it one last time to get rid of anything that you might not need. It’s better than being forced to do this at the airport if your bag is overweight.
- Have I double checked my packing list? Double check every item off your packing list to ensure you have it. Bring this list with you in case something in your bag goes missing.
- Have I weighed and measured my bags to ensure that they follow airline restrictions? Look up what your specific airline’s policy is in terms of weight and dimensions. Double check your carry on when you get to the airport.
- Have I packed essentials like my ticket, accommodation information and passport? These are the BIG ticket items that you can’t forget. Put them all in a place where you will have easy access to them when you reach the airport. If you keep your passport in a safe, make sure you grab it on your way out.
- Did I grab other important items like prescription medications, contacts or glasses? Second only to forgetting your identification, forgetting your prescriptions and other essentials can throw a wrench in your plans.
Take Action: Weigh It Up
Ask yourself the questions in this post. When it comes to literally weighing it up, use a scale or luggage scale to do a final check of your luggage. Are you ready to go?!
Join the Her Packing List email community!
Subscribe to get our latest packing lists, gear deals, and travel news by email.