See all female packing lists for destinations around the world.
Everything is bigger, and better, in Texas. The Lone Star State offers something for all travelers, from the spring breakers in Galveston to the hipsters in Austin, from the Spanish missions to San Antonio and the city vibes of Dallas. A road trip is the best way to see these places, but you can also experience one city at a time.
But what does a girl pack for such a trip?
Despite the famous heat of the summers, winters in Texas can be fairly mild, making it a great destination year-round. Layers are key here, as you might be warm in the sun, but get a chill if the wind picks up. I recently spent a long weekend in San Antonio and this is what I packed.
The average winter temperatures will vary depending on the specific region you are visiting, so check ahead and adapt your list accordingly. It is not uncommon to have temperatures as high as the 70s F in certain areas, but warmer or cooler in others.
This packing list is catered towards a long weekend to a week trip.
Don’t worry about packing too much, as the weather is mild and you can wear items multiple ways. Layer for best results and light travel. Dress in most of Texas is fairly casual, but pack a few items for nicer restaurants or going out.
- 2 pairs of pants– I packed jeans for my trip because they’re warm and versatile, but choose a pair of travel pants that work for you.
- 3 tops– Throw in at least one long sleeved shirt or sweater.
- 1 maxi dress– I wore a maxi dress with a denim jacket one day and was comfortable.
- 1 scarf– Choose one that suits your preference. If going for an infinity scarf, we recommend either the Speakeasy travel scarf, or even the Chrysalis Cardi, which is a scarf, top, and dress in one!
- 1 waterproof jacket or light coat
- Bras and underwear– A few pairs of travel underwear will suffice.
- Jewelry– Accessorize your look with a few key pieces like a statement necklace and earrings. Other tips for traveling with jewelry include only packing cheaper items that you won’t miss if they get lost or stolen.
- Purse– A cross body bag should hold everything you need, like a smartphone and your camera.
- 1 pair of nice sandals– It was warm enough in December that I wore sandals a few days (my Birkenstocks).
- 1 pair of athletic shoes or boots– Boots or Converse All Stars will do the job and be comfortable to sightsee in.
- Shampoo and conditioner– Most hotels will have this, but pack your own if you like a specific brand.
- Makeup– Just a little will do in your low key beauty kit, as you will still sweat it off! Consider foundation with sunscreen as well.
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, floss
- Medicine– Any prescriptions of course. A couple of pain pills or allergy tablets if you need them, but remember that you can buy just about anything at your destination should you need it.
Don’t forget your feminine hygiene products, razor, contacts and solution if any of these are necessary.
- Camera– Snap photos from your experience to share with friends and family back home.
- Kindle or E-Reader– Read up on Texas history, guidebooks and novels from your e-reader; all the joy without the weight!
- Ipod– If you’re traveling by road trip, bring an iPod (or smartphone) that can be plugged in.
- Chargers and adapters
Additional Tips for Planning a Trip to Texas
Consider the travel times between destinations in Texas. Some destinations are close together, like Austin and San Antonio, but others are a very long drive.
If you’re short on time, choose a few cities to see and base yourself in one. For example, start in Houston to see the coastal areas like Galveston and Corpus Christi. Visit San Antonio and Austin in the Hill Country, a short hour or so drive. Dallas and Fort Worth are sister cities which are ideal for lumping into the same visit. And further north, Amarillo can be a base for further exploration to El Paso and Lubbock.
Book a Viator Tour for Your Trip to Texas in Winter
Eco and Dolphin Watch Tour of South Padre Island ↗
Watch for the Atlantic bottlenose dolphins that thrive along the coast of South Padre Island on a 1.5-hour wildlife boat tour from Sea Ranch Marina.
San Antonio Full-Day Historic City Tour ↗
A great introduction to the city for first-time visitors, this tour gives you a chance to learn your way around San Antonio with a guide to navigate and narrate the journey.
Download This Packing Checklist Now
Plus get access to 100+ more FREE downloadable packing lists.
Linens in the feb in corpus Christie?????
Note that Texas is a large state with several climates. While this packing list might suffice in San Antonio in the winter, places further North (even as little as 50 miles North gets you into Hill Country) or West (El Paso is in the Rockies) may be much cooler. On the other hand, the further East you go, the closer you are to the gulf and humidity/wind chill. Texas is a great place to visit, but please be prepared for the weather of the town/region you are travelling to.