If you haven’t guessed it yet, we hate heavy luggage here at Her Packing List, and we know hate is a very strong word. We’ve already given you 10 reasons why overpacking sucks, but now we’re giving you 20 benefits of doing the opposite: packing light!
1. You never have to worry at check-in.
Spend that last bit of foreign currency! You won’t be paying any unexpected overages here.
2. You are in complete control of your belongings.
So when that random nice guy offers to help you with your luggage, and you immediately have visions of them running off with said luggage, you don’t have to lie while saying, “Oh, I’m fine, thanks.”
3. Your back doesn’t hurt.
Because you don’t need any of that when you travel.
4. Your feet don’t hurt.
That’s the last thing you want when you travel!
5. It’s easier to pick out outfits since you have fewer choices.
Seriously, there is no need to waste time on clothes when you should be out experiencing a new place.
6. It’s easier to keep tabs on your belongings since you have fewer to manage.
You know exactly how much of what you actually packed.
7. You can often keep your luggage with you on trains and buses and planes.
Instead of stowing in a separate location, or checking altogether. You really have no control over the security of your belongings if you don’t have them.
8. You can weave through foot traffic at busy areas with greater ease.
There’s nothing like making your way through a crowded train station with giant luggage in tow.
9. You’re better able to lock up everything in hostel lockers.
A lot of hostels provide lockers, but many aren’t big enough for big luggage, meaning it needs to stay out in the open.
10. You don’t take out innocent bystanders with your ginormous backpack.
Have you ever turned around quickly, forgetting about the 80L pack on your back? Small children have been injured across the globe because of this issue.
11. You don’t take up excess room on packed public transport.
And you also won’t receive the glares of many passengers wanting to sit in your luggage’s seat.
12. You can walk to your hostel or hotel from the station without dying on the journey.
Cut back on taxis and get some exercise in the process.
13. You don’t have to wait for your luggage at the baggage carousel.
It will take ages when you don’t have ages to wait. Stress, stress, stress!
14. You don’t have to worry that your luggage makes it to your destination.
Because you have it with you!
15. You don’t have to worry about luggage handlers playing catch with your precious belongings.
You may have painstakingly wrapped any slightly breakable item in your suitcase, but that won’t matter when the bag gets treated like a football in transit.
16. You save money.
No excess baggage fees! No checked baggage fees! No extra cost for tipping bellhops at hotels! Share your taxi with another person instead of your extra luggage!
17. Luggage searches and scans are less dramatic and less time-consuming.
Because there is just no place for questionable items to be hiding.
18. Elevator-less hotels are not a problem.
You can easily carry your luggage up without breaking a sweat.
19. Repacking is a breeze.
Fewer items means less time putting the pieces back in order.
20. Your luggage weighs less, which means your airplane weighs less, and less fuel gets used.
Packing light is better for the environment!
Why do you, or do you want to, pack light? What are packing light benefits for you?
Join the Her Packing List email community!
Subscribe to get our latest packing lists, gear deals, and travel news by email.