Infinity Skirt: Our Packing Problems SOLVED

I typically choose to bypass form and go for function when it comes to packing my backpack for a trip. I cannot stress how much I hate to carry stuff, so when I found the infinity skirt not too long ago, I thought that this was the answer to all of my packing problems (and maybe yours, too).

The infinity skirt is a special sort of item; it can be worn as a skirt, a dress or a top… and in about 100 different ways! Sound too good to be true? It’s not, I swear, and I have the photo evidence to prove it!

Not only can this one item be worn 100 different ways, but it is super light and packs up to the size of a softball. Plus, it just looks cute, which is something I ALWAYS LACK when I travel — something that says, “Hey, I’m a female and hot!”

The Infinity Skirt:

This is the infinity skirt at its most basic level, but to spice it up, you can tie some layers to the side. One simple skirt can take on a number of personalities to suit your daily travel plans.
infinity skirt 1
You can create a skirt using the reverse side to expose the other patterns of fabric. Tie the outer layer of this skirt to the side to show off a shorter version for a more playful you.
infinity skirt 2

The Infinity Dress:

I was surprised to see that I can possibly use the infinity skirt as a dress, and a somewhat classy one at that. By flipping up the top later, and tying a knot, you’ve got a sophisticated dinner date dress that can be turned around for yet another look.
infinity dress

The Infinity Top:

I watched a video showing me all the ways I can create a top with this skirt, and there were so many that I literally couldn’t keep up. These two tops are pretty basic, yet comfortable and stylish at the same time.
infinity top 1 and 2
This infinity top style is probably my favorite. I love the ruffle look in the front along with the simple tie around the neck. It feels summery and fun — perfect for Australia.
infinity top 3
The following top options say cute and laid-back to me. Notice how changing the way the straps are tied changes the entire feel of the top itself.
infinity top 4

My Thoughts on the Infinity Skirt:

Honestly, I’m in love with this little thing and wish I had found it sooner. I originally saw it at Paddy’s Market in Sydney last summer, but when I went back for it, I couldn’t find the stall. Luckily, there was a stall at one of the malls a few weeks ago where both my boyfriend and I were sold.

Being so small and versatile, it is the perfect addition to any female’s backpack. It can be worn to the pool, out to dinner, on a sightseeing tour and then some. Every one (from the shop I bought from) is different, meaning there are different patterns of Indian silk pieced together to produce your skirt.

The infinity skirt is also sold in a longer dress form, which is actually even more versatile. The shop I bought from is not online, but there are many versions of this product available on Amazon.

The infinity dress was mentioned in the “Fitting Your Closet in a Backpack” newsletter of Female Travel Underground.

47 Responses to Infinity Skirt: Our Packing Problems SOLVED

1. Sasha January 6, 2011 at 7:40 am #

I think this is one of the best inventions in fashion EVER!!! I got one of these at Paddy’s Market a year ago and it really is the best thing ever! So versatile!!! The only problem is trying not to buy too many!!! :)

• Brooke January 6, 2011 at 7:52 am #

Cool! Yes, they are so awesome! I have the skirt one, but I’m going back for a dress soon. ha!

2. Dina January 6, 2011 at 10:06 am #

Dang, how could I forget buying this before I left Sydney…. Oh well, I hope I will see this item again somewhere else… other than in Paddy’s Market.

• Brooke January 6, 2011 at 9:42 pm #

There are shops online that sell them… probably from the States, so check the Amazon link above :) I’m also willing to send you one ;)

3. Caz Makepeace January 6, 2011 at 10:37 am #

Never heard of it before but I love it. Will have to grab one when next near Paddy’s market

• Brooke January 6, 2011 at 9:44 pm #

Yes, I’m in love with it! The dresses are $40 at Paddy’s I believe, but it is totally worth it.

4. Erin January 6, 2011 at 10:54 am #

I’m not a backpacker, but I can definitely see this as a very useful accessory for our regular weekend trips or even a cruise. It gives you the versatility to have a different look every night in the dining room if you’re on a cruise that has a dress code for dinner! And for our weekend trips, we usually do a fancy dinner and that means a whole separate outfit and shoes. While my husband can still sigh at three pairs of shoes for three days away, at least I can justify them by reducing the amount of clothes I bring! :D

• Brooke January 6, 2011 at 9:48 pm #

Haha, I like the way you think! It is so hard to pack when it comes to shoes, hey? You’ll have to let me know if you get it how it works out :)

5. Heather January 6, 2011 at 11:25 am #

You have me convinced!! I’ve seen something similar before and thought there was NO WAY I’d be able to figure out all the ways to wear it. But I think you’ve changed my mind — gonna go check it out!

• Brooke January 6, 2011 at 9:51 pm #

They give you a DVD with it that shows you how to work it – it’s nuts! So many options… I highly recommend. I’ve never had such a sophisticated piece of clothing before ;)

6. Bethany January 7, 2011 at 1:05 am #

I WANT ONE!!! Looks so cool!! It would be perfect for me. I love the skirt option – I discovered skirts are awesome on the road and I love the dress option w/ maybe some tights or leggings… oh this is so cute. i gotta see if i can find one online. Looks great on you too Brooke!

• Brooke January 7, 2011 at 11:14 pm #

Aw, thanks! Yes, so great for travel :)

7. Alouise January 7, 2011 at 3:46 am #

First I gotta say I’m really liking this new site. Second this product is a genius idea. I’m not one for skirts, but this is really cute. I might have to keep my eyes open for one here in Canada.

• Brooke January 7, 2011 at 11:17 pm #

Thanks for stopping by :) I love this skirt and the engineering behind it. So many uses!

8. Erica January 13, 2011 at 10:05 am #

RAWR! I need one so badly! I think I may have convinced Shaun to let me buy one. *cough* :P

• Brooke January 13, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

Haha, awesome! Hope you get one, and I hope you like it as much as I do :)

9. Travelogged January 15, 2011 at 3:55 am #

I’ve never heard of this before — really cool! And I like how it has those different prints.

• Brooke January 31, 2011 at 12:41 am #

The different prints is what really sold me because you can make it “feel” like that many more items by flipping them around.

10. Marissa January 25, 2011 at 4:05 am #

So I feel like I should bow down in reverence towards whoever originally thought of this idea, its just that awesome :) Also, may I just say I love the site, and the fact that it has everything girlie-travel related in it for us ladies :)

• Brooke January 31, 2011 at 12:50 am #

I know! Such a great invention! Thanks for stopping by and checking it out… been a bit of extra work to get it up and running ;)

11. Alice February 16, 2011 at 6:54 pm #

That’s wonderful! I definitely love infinity dresses!

12. Christine March 1, 2011 at 9:05 pm #

Hello, Brooke! I just bought an infinity dress online and so far I love it. I was just wondering where you got the information for all the different ways you can wear one. I was supposed to get an instructional DVD, but it never came with it. I really love the infinity top look that you have with the ruffles in it. Would you be able to tell me how you tied that?

13. Adrienne March 11, 2011 at 5:27 pm #

This is awesome! I’m going on a RTW trip soon and have been looking for this item! I remember seeing it at a stall once where the vendor showed a bunch of diff ways to wear it but I couldn’t remember the name of it or find it online (wasn’t sure what to search for)… but thanks to you I’ve found it!

14. Christine March 16, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

Thank you so much!

15. Denise October 24, 2011 at 5:11 am #

very pretty. I must admit that I do love looking pretty while travelling…I just can’t help it

16. Vicky April 17, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

My boyfriend and I are currently planning a 2 year backpacking trip through Europe and Asia to start this fall (which we hope to document on a travel blog – acoupletravelers.com) and I recently bought the infinity dress on Amazon! I figured with it’s many uses it would be the perfect addition to a backpack — have yet to learn all the different ways of wearing it though! Will have to reference this guide!

17. Sofie December 14, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

This post is such a great find!
    I might be a bit to clumsy to get it all the ways it can be worn, but this is definitely something I’m putting on my wish list!

18. Joyce April 10, 2013 at 10:40 pm #

Cute! what fabric is it made from?

19. Tzigane Ludwig September 11, 2013 at 8:56 pm #

Amazing! Thank you so much!

20. Karin Brain November 3, 2013 at 2:57 am #

I would like to purchase an infinity skirt, I am in Brisbane and need it before Thursday is it possible???
    Cheers
    karin

21. Jennifer Gutierrez November 13, 2013 at 2:16 am #

I am trying to find the infinity skirt/dress on amazon. The only item I found was the Jedzebel infinity skirt in long (34 inches). Where can I find the short one you feature on your site???

• Brooke November 13, 2013 at 1:35 pm #

Hi Jennifer – The company I originally got mine from was selling at a market stall in Sydney, but I don’t think they are still producing. Search for “wrap skirt” to see if that brings up more options for you.

22. Cyra @ Gastronomic Nomad February 7, 2014 at 2:02 pm #

I just stumbled across the post looking at another post. I know it’s old but I have to say that you make the skirt look really good as a top or dress!

I have one that I got from Glebe Markets in Sydney ages ago, but I just cannot make it look good as a top or a dress. It’s skirt or nothing for me. Mine came with an instruction DVD (!!!) and I still can’t make it work!

23. Laramie February 11, 2014 at 6:05 pm #

I have the dress version (bought from a festival in Vermont) and the silk works as a great travel blanket in a pinch.

24. Julia June 30, 2014 at 5:39 pm #

I REALLY want a dress/skirt like this but I can’t find one I like. I love the red design you have because It’s flirty but not super busy and it could be paired with a lot of different tops (in dress form). Is there another dress like this in a similar color being sold?

1. Packing Tips for Women: How to Pack Light for Carry On Only - March 4, 2011

[...] like to bring up a few favorites that are targeted to multipurpose use. The first one is the infinity dress. I was skeptical at first, but you can actually wear it about 100 different ways. This one item [...]

2. A Night in Sydney's Kings Cross - March 20, 2011

[...] since 2007, so I’m not the best person to judge fashion. I did, however, wear my awesome infinity skirt as a top last night, and I think it went over [...]

3. Ultimate Female Travel Packing List for Russia in Summer « Her Packing List - July 26, 2011

[...] 1 Fleece vest – Perfect for keeping the core warm on chilly nights. 1 Skirt – Or, an infinity skirt or dress. 1 Convertible pants – Can be shorts or pants, or sometimes capris. 1 Yoga pants [...]

4. Ultimate Female Travel Packing List for Hawaii (in summer) | Her Packing List - September 6, 2011

[...] dresses – For nice dinners and using as swimsuit cover ups. Try the Infinity Skirt on for size. 2 pairs of shorts – Better suited for hiking and more adventurous activities. 2 [...]

5. Silk Roadistan Packing: 5 Items I’m Excited to Have with Me | Brooke vs. the World - April 13, 2012

[...] the female traveler. It goes with jeans, it works with leggings, and it is great as a simple skirt. Read my post over on Her Packing List to see how cool and versatile this item can [...]

6. The Ultimate Female Travel Packing List for Thailand | Her Packing List - April 16, 2012

[...] dresses – For nice dinners and using as swimsuit cover ups. Try the Infinity Skirt on for size. 2 pairs of shorts – Better suited for hiking and more adventurous activities. I [...]

7. Ultimate Female Travel Packing Lists | Her Packing List - October 17, 2012

[...] by helping be prepared with their packing and gear. You will find posts reviewing female backpacks, multipurpose gear, unique female hygiene products, and most of all, ultimate packing lists. Hope to see you around [...]

8. 10 Gift Ideas for the Female Traveler | Her Packing List - December 11, 2012

[...] out the review of the Infinity Skirt, or purchase one on [...]

9. The Ultimate Traveler Holiday Gift List! ($40 & under!) - December 13, 2012

[...] ALL IN ONE! Solve your packing problems with just one piece!  My friend Brooke has an entire review of the Infinity Skirt on Her Packing List. When I saw her last weekend she mentioned that she is still love with it which is why I am putting [...]

10. Packing | Macedonia-Bound - February 27, 2014

[…] http://herpackinglist.com/2010/12/infinity-skirt-our-packing-problems-solved/ […]