After a few jogs in Sydney, however, I knew I needed to invest in a more supportive sports bra if I was only going to own one.
Enter Lululemon’s Ta Ta Tamer, designed to “tame the B to DD bust size for high impact sports like running”. If you’re like many women who love to work out and have a larger chest, you know it can be difficult to find a sports bra that’s comfortable, affordable, and supportive. I’ve now happily owned the Ta Ta Tamer for a year and it’s my go-to bra for jogging and higher impact exercise.
Why I bought it
- Initially Lululemon’s reputation drew me to the store. Their clothing may be on the expensive side but I had heard that it was also well made and durable.
- I stared at the variety of sports bras and didn’t know where to start. Then I saw the tag that read “Ta Ta Tamer” – how could I NOT try it on?! My only question — would it actually tame my C-cup tatas?
- I gave the bra a test run in the fitting room by running in place and jumping. Minimal bounce = win!
Initial thoughts on a test run
The bra fit well in the store, and I experienced minimal bounce when running in place, but what about the real thing? The next day I gave the Ta Ta Tamer a proper test run with a 2-mile jog around the Opera House. I still experienced some bounce but it was noticeably less than what I had seen and felt before with other sports bras. The girls are naturally going to move but the Ta Ta Tamer minimized the effects. I also found myself feeling less self-conscious about stares from men as I jogged along my now familiar route.
About the bra…
Comfort and fit
- For me, the bra fits snuggly without feeling tight. The bra’s designer says that the snug fit is an intentional part of the design so it can offer full support.
- The straps can be worn traditionally or crossed over in the back.
- I liked the shape the bra gave me! The lycra in the middle of the bra provides stretch and partners with the two lightly padded cups to keep the tatas in place – no sports bra uni-boob!
- The wide strap with three strong clasps in the back gave me peace of mind that the bra would stay put when I needed it to deliver on its promise of support.
The bra’s product information mentions its “4-way stretch power luxtremeTM fabric has inherent wicking & high LYCRA® content”. I found the material to wick away moisture beautifully and I was able to use it for a couple of jogs before having to give it wash. When you share a room with fellow travelers on the road, it’s nice not to stink up the room post-workout!
Value for money
A good sports bra is expensive and the Ta Ta Tamer is no different at $58 USD.
There are certain products I don’t mind investing in, and a long-lasting, comfortable article of clothing is one of them. We all have our unique priorities when it comes to finances, but for me, the Ta Ta Tamer was (and continues to be) well worth the money.
The bra will not fold as small as your regular ones, and the padded cups give it some shape! If you need a little extra room in your bag on travel days, wear the Ta Ta Tamer and pack your others. Despite its larger size compared to the average bra, it’s still a small item to pack!
I also found the bra easy to care for and wash on the road, which is important. It can be hand washed, of course, but this bra can also go in the washing machine. I took the cup inserts out of the bra after washing so both the inserts and the bra could dry more quickly.
Have you found a sports bra that works for you? I obviously love the Ta Ta Tamer but am always interested in recommendations for bras that deliver the support we need.
Photo credit: 1, 2.